Saturday 14 May 2011

She Turna the Numba Pizza "Abruzzi Town PicNIC) Oh God why'd we go!!!



Silvi - Italy - My husband's Family Town

Well as if trying to fit in to an Italian family is not hard enough - I have to win their Bocce tournament (against all the old nonnos and their Pizza contest taboot) lol hahaha -



tried to throw the trophy of a women playing boci that I won and my son found it in the garbage.  Brought it back into the house with tears in his eyes 'mom you are the only one without a trophy'  'i'll dust it for you'

So the first picnic that my hubby suggested we attend was when my son was a newborn - born April, picnic in July - it was hot and terrible - too many Italians wanting to hold him constantly - I couldn't take it - -

Typically these picnics are Obviously to see how everyone is doing other than meeting at a FUNERAL or a WEDDING - and mainly to introduce a new Fiance to the town people and see how big that friggin ring is LOL -





 honestly we didn't go when we were engaged.  It had been enough for me with the INTERVIEW and the fish head Zuppa de Pesce -

Oh well this day worked out okay - I somehow got in a good game of Bocce with the Nonnos - OMG don't I end up winning - well are the Wopinos pee'd off that this friggin caker whom just had a baby wins an italian game.  Yup I did -

I must also explain that at this picnic - really we do not have to bring food because it is all supplied by the Silvi Club - they have drums set up to cook 1000 kg of pasta (fettucini with meat sauce) -



 and they have bbq and fried fish and of course Ensalada - the senior club members are there cooking all day - its unbelievable - they must have 1000 or more speduccis - there are about 10 people cooking and these are the real experienced cooks - Grande Nonnas - - there is so much food people are taking containers home for later - (you know like the night of 100 Veals that Doug made LOL)


Family Style Eating is the best - Get it while you can


there are many many activities that go on during the day - including an egg toss at the end - really is a blast - I guess we'll go back when our children get Engaged or have their children and we bring our GRANDCHILDREN (Yikes) - then the tradition can be passed to them - we go simply to show off the bambinos



 next picnic is kids are one and 3 - so I decide to make fresh tomatoe pizza (a bruchetta pizza) - and this was simply for our family to eat - had no idea there was going to be a pizza contest that day.  We arrive - and the contest is about the begin - I start unloading our food and my brother-in-law sees that I have brought my pizza (which he loves I might say) - he takes a few slices and enters it into their town's pizza event. 



There are four judges (one from Italy, my niece and two other nonnas) - their town is famous for and makes a pizza with sardines and hot peppers which is white pizza and the fish is in the middle of two tin pizza crusts.  (I hate it, but my NON-Italiano father loved it so much and so does the rest of the family)  -  Not the kids though just the brothers (my hub and his brother that is) -

Well after eating so much fish pizza I would think that mine was so refreshing it won by a landslide -


We all received a number of our pizza and mine was a 6 - the entries were from 1 to 15 - unfortunately when my pizza won this nonna got so pissed off that she said (her number being 9) They Turna da numba - from 9 win you maka 6 -

I had not even gone over to the tent to watch the contest because I had a one year old running around and a 3 year old doing a pinyata - my concern was making sure she didn't get hit by the stick - Anyways - my sister-in-law yells across the whole friggin park (oh did I say my sister-in-law had a pizza entry as well and her daughter was a judge and she didn't win) -



so as I was saying she yells across the park "OMG you won the friggin pizza contest you Caker" - I was like what - I didn't enter a contest (learnt from the year before when I won against the NONNOS in BOCCE Hello) - not making a mistake like that again - Well this nonna who thought she won made such an ordeal they put all the numbers into a hat to draw for winners - GUESS Who WON - MY SISTER-IN-LAW HAHA she hadn't even come close, actually I think she was near 14th - anyways she got some stupid silver plaque that I thought wow this will not only require dusting but shinning as well.  F that I don't want it. 

heres how you make Turna da numba pizza

Fresh Pizza dough (i make my own)



1 pkg yeast
1 cup of warm water
1/4 tsp raw sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups flour (sifted into my kitchenade mixer)
and my secret ingredient is 3 tsp of flax seed

mix yeast, sugar and water together until yeast foamy
add salt, olive oil and begin adding flour - let mixer knead dough and if too wet keep adding flour slowly until all dough leaves side of bowl - when done put some olive oil on top of dough and place a damp warm clean towel on top and let rise - punch down and let rise again.

In the mean time while dough rising -

Pizza toppings

Fresh tomatoes (6)
1 red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
salt
pepper
olive oil

dice tomatoes and onion and add all together with other ingredients -

Knead out dough and make into a long pizza - bake until dough is browned and cooked - once done place bruchetta mixture on top and if you want to you can add some mozzarella and some fresh basil leaves



Ensalada Hello

To make the Sardine pizza - same dough however - you bake pizza dough and then slice it in the middle and add

Filling

Sardines - chopped up
Hot peppers and parsley

Hope you like it - you can also place this on top of the pizza dough and then bake (I think this would be better) but that isn't the town way

PS - this was our last Town Picnic - the kids are now 24 and 22 -

No comments:

Post a Comment